Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Glowing Skin



Wherever I go, I always get asked about my skin. To be honest, I have the most simple and basic skin routine. I mean I don't just wash my face with soap and water, but I don't layer my face with products either. Believe me, I've tried it and it's really uncomfortable and itchy! I have fallen asleep with a full face of make-up (a definite NO! NO!), but who's perfect and who has the energy when you have a full time job and a toddler running around?! 

When I do have the energy (most of the time), here's what I do...

Here I am at the end of the day with no make-up.

Fact: I have combination skin

Waterproof mascara remover:
I take off my eye make-up with Lancome's BiFacil remover. There are a lot of waterproof removers out there but I think this is the best one and it has a lovely rose scent. mmmm! aaah!

 I take my make up off with a good cleansing oil by Philosophy. I started using cleansing oil after every Festival of the Lion King Show. Whether it was make-up of friend of Nala or friend of Rafiki, my Ponds cleansing oil took it all off! Unfortunately, Ponds cleansing oil was only sold in Hong Kong, where I lived during my year long stint, but not in Hawaii. Philosophy is more expensive but it's worth it. I saw at Sephora that Josie Maran also has a cleansing oil but I haven't tried it yet. 

If my make up is really thick, I follow with any cleansing foam - any drugstore brand should suffice. I like to use Estée Lauder's Perfectly Clean. 

Clarisonic:
Yes, I have one. I use it from time to time. I'm on the fence with exfoliating cleansers/gadgets. The first time I used an exfoliator, my pores were really visible. I feel like it cleanses your skin but I think it stretches open the pores as well. The subject is debatable. Nevertheless, I keep exfoliating to a minimum. (This is pertaining to any bead cleansers, and cleansing brushes.)

Toner? I use a vitamin C toner from the Face Shop. I rarely use it but if I feel I'm really oily or hormonal, I go ahead and use it. 

Oil: 
While my skin is still damp I apply extra virgin Olive Oil (yes right out of the kitchen). My mama has beautiful skin. She only uses olive oil. She taught me that it really feeds and protects the skin. The smell is not the best so you can make your own scented Olive Oil moisturizer. All you have to do is go to your nearest organic food store like Down to Earth. They have a bunch or flower scented oils. Pick your favorite and add a drop or two to your olive oil bottle. You can pick up little bottle containers from Walmart or local drugstore. If you don't want the hassle of making your own, go to Sephora and buy Josie Maran Argan oil. Same thing but $$$.

Moisturizers:
I alternate between moisturizers. Right now I'm loving Lancôme's multivitamin moisturzer. I kinda love Estee Lauder's moisturizers as well. "Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool. Loving you both is breaking all the rules." That's song from the 70's I think. Lol!

Water and Sunscreen:
Water and Sunscreen! I drink plenty of water and I've been wearing  Sunscreen since I was 12 years old. Thanks mama! I use it all the time, even on stage for protection from the hot lights. Neutrogena makes awesome sunscreens. Forget $$$ brands. It's never too late to start but the earlier, the better! 

And here is the Big Kahuna Secret to awesome, glowing skin! Ready?!

My skin glows when my spirit is happy. A positive attitude and the love that comes from God really helps me shine. The goodness and light from within is what permeates to the surface. 

With aloha, SS


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your beauty secret. I love the last part especially! Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan! Happy New Year. It is really a joy for me to share. And the last part of this blog is truly the most important beauty advice I could think of. Aloha and a hui ho!

      Delete